The storm was, in fact, no stronger than a gale, with winds below 60 miles an hour. Cobblet (talk) 07:22, 8 August 2014 (UTC), There's an unwarranted assumption, on this page and elsewhere, that a modern musical composition that's clearly based on modern notions of harmony (especially the relatively-rigid field of [rock and pop guitar-chord harmony], which this song fits into) can *validly* be said to be in any historic mode at all. Do you have any other artifacts from other tragedies you’d like to profit from? --Interiot 20:28, 8 December 2005 (UTC), The lyrics sites I can find mostly refer to the Edmund Fitzgerald as "it", but my memory is that Lightfoot calls her "she", in the original version. All image screenshots from Google Earth are Copyright Google. Upon its maiden voyage on June 7, 1958, the SS Edmund Fitzgerald became a famous name. Bill Milner, who at one time managed the apartment building I lived in during the early 1990s, played sometimes with Gordon Lightfoot. After the disaster, new regulations came into effect for ships traveling the Great Lakes. even while thinking of their plight, This material may not be published, See more of David Romero’s work right here. Perhaps the LIghtfoot’s haunting song was the beginning. Job done, she set off for Detroit’s Zug Island. The Dandy Warhols are more notable than NRBQ? here to hear the captain of the Arthur M. Anderson reporting the suspected loss to the If these are useful, encyclopedic bits of information relating to the song's impact and continuing cultural relevance, than it should not be difficult to find reliable sources that back up that claim. In honor of the ship and her crew i will say …. At the time of listening I wasn't aware of his sensitivity to ongoing criticism from the bereaved about lyrical accuracy and profiting from a tragedy; hindsight and the cynic in me now suggest that Gordo's radio story may simply have been a PR exercise, as in "the inaccuracies weren't my idea but my producer's", but who knows? one or more hatch covers damaged by the impact of heavy seas over her deck. I made the following changes: When you have finished reviewing my changes, you may follow the instructions on the template below to fix any issues with the URLs. According to Wikipedia: The … The only reference I could find on Google for this song was this article and one post on a forum with the lyrics. Later the N.T.S.B. A hunter holds up in a cabin to fend off a monstrous creature in this short animated horror film by animator David Romero, whose work can be seen on Chilling Tales for Dark Nights and The Simply Scary Podcast. Both became aware of a Gale Warning issued by the National Weather Service (NWS). My condolences to the families on what will be a sad day this Wednesday. The legend lives on from the Chippewa on downOf the big lake they call Gitche GumeeThe lake, it is said, never gives up her deadWhen the skies of November turn gloomyWith a load of iron ore twenty-six thousand tons moreThan the Edmund Fitzgerald weighed empty[Former version:] That good ship and true was a bone to be chewed[Latter version:] That good ship and crew was a bone to be chewedWhen the gales of November came earlyThe ship was the pride of the American sideComing back from some mill in WisconsinAs the big freighters go, it was bigger than mostWith a crew and good captain well seasonedConcluding some terms with a couple of steel firmsWhen they left fully loaded for ClevelandThen later that night when the ship’s bell rangCould it be the north wind they’d been feelin’?The wind in the wires made a tattle-tale soundWhen the wave broke over the railingAnd every man knew, as the captain did too‘Twas the witch of November come stealin’The dawn came late and the breakfast had to waitWhen the gales of November came slashin’When afternoon came it was freezing rainIn the face of a hurricane west windWhen suppertime came, the old cook came on deckSaying, “Fellas, it’s too rough to feed ya.”[Former version:] At seven PM a main hatchway caved in[Latter version:] At seven PM it grew dark, it was thenHe said, “Fellas, it’s been good to know ya.”The captain wired in he had water comin’ inAnd the good ship and crew was in perilAnd later that night when his lights went out of sightCame the wreck of the Edmund FitzgeraldDoes anyone know where the love of God goesWhen the waves turn the minutes to hours?The searchers all say they’d have made Whitefish BayIf they’d put fifteen more miles behind herThey might have split up or they might have capsizedThey may have broke deep and took waterAnd all that remains is the faces and the namesOf the wives and the sons and the daughtersLake Huron rolls, Superior singsIn the rooms of her ice-water mansionOld Michigan steams like a young man’s dreamsThe islands and bays are for sportsmenAnd farther below, Lake OntarioTakes in what Lake Erie can send herAnd the iron boats go as the mariners all knowWith the gales of November remembered[Former version:] In a musty old hall in Detroit they prayed[Latter version:] In a rustic old hall in Detroit they prayedIn the Maritime Sailors’ CathedralThe church bell chimed ’til it rang twenty-nine timesFor each man on the Edmund FitzgeraldThe legend lives on from the Chippewa on downOf the big lake they call Gitche GumeeSuperior, they said, never gives up her deadWhen the gales of November come early, I was born in Atlanta, moved to Alpharetta at 4, lived there for 53 years and moved to Decatur in 2016.

Ukrainian Airlines Flight Status, Stingray Cartoon Drawing, Barrington Tops Fossicking Area, Chilliwack City Council Members, Gruene Estate Wedding Cost, Bandits Bbq Camarillo Menu,