His account of Lee's surrender at Appomattox Court House is particularly notable: When I had left camp that morning I had not expected so soon the result that was then taking place, and consequently was in rough garb. Current slide {CURRENT_SLIDE} of {TOTAL_SLIDES}- Top picked items. In Perret's eyes, Grant was "above all a soldier, and not a reluctant one." The autobiography is unusual but not unique in that large sections of Grant's life (most notably, his childhood and his presidency) are given brief mention or not discussed at all. In volume 1, he describes his family background and points to his simple upbringing as the reason for his solid, restrained virtues of a normal Northerner. Something went wrong. But Grant was largely disengaged from the company's business, often signing papers without reading them. The next year, he moved to New York City to go into business with his son Ulysses S. Grant, Jr. and Ferdinand Ward, a young investor who was described by his great-grandson Geoffrey Ward as "a very plausible, charming, unobtrusive, slender person with a genius for finding older people and pleasing them, which he learned early on."[6]. In a straightforward,honest and simple writing style,he told his readers his remembrances of his very significant role in a critical point in U.S. history. In the end, Grant's widow, Julia, received about $450,000 ($12,805,000 in 2019), suggesting a gross royalty before expenses of about 30%. I was without a sword, as I usually was when on horseback on the field, and wore a soldier's blouse for a coat, with the shoulder straps of my rank to indicate to the army who I was. "[17] Geoffrey Perret, the author of Ulysses S. Grant: Soldier and President staunchly disagreed with Grant's assertion that he was acting out of necessity and declared Grant's wartime conquests were against his Northern virtues. The universally kind feeling expressed for me at a time when it was supposed that each day would prove my last, seemed to me the beginning of the answer to "Let us have peace.". Current slide {CURRENT_SLIDE} of {TOTAL_SLIDES}- Best Selling in Nonfiction. His thinking and strategy during the Civil War shows why he is called the greatest General of Armed Forces. Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Personal Memoirs of U. S. Grant Ser. They came from individual citizens of all nationalities; from all denominations—the Protestant, the Catholic, and the Jew; and from the various societies of the land—scientific, educational, religious or otherwise. Free shipping for many products! …I was able to say in all sincerity, that the same high merits distinguished both books—clarity of statement, directness, simplicity, unpretentiousness, manifest truthfulness, fairness and justice toward friend and foe alike, soldierly candor and frankness, and soldierly avoidance of flowery speech. The final chapter, "Conclusion," is a reflection on the war and its effects, the actions of foreign countries during it, and the reconciliation of North and South. Originally published in 1885,it is a compelling story,and has been a must read for those interested in U.S. military history for many years. The Personal Memoirs of U. S. Grant is an autobiography by Ulysses S. Grant, the 18th President of the United States, focused mainly on his military career during the Mexican–American War and the American Civil War, and completed as he was dying of throat cancer in 1885. The Personal Memoirs of U. S. Grant is an autobiography by Ulysses S. Grant, the 18th President of the United States, focused mainly on his military career during the Mexican–American War and the American Civil War, and completed as he was dying of throat cancer in 1885.The two-volume set was published by Mark Twain shortly after Grant's death. "Still a Mystery? As the commander of the Union army and a two-term president, he had a unique perspective on the war that interested both the public and historical scholars, as they wanted to hear his side of the story.

Look Alive Meaning In Urdu, Highest Bronc Riding Score, Examples Of Triple Structure, Smu Football 2018, Phil Collins Tour 2020 Usa, Tsu Football Schedule 2020, What Does The Green Party Stand For,